Degree or Diploma
John Brown Media
John Brown South Africa (Pty) Ltd is seeking to appoint a Senior Finance Manager. The position is based in Cape Town and will report directly to the Managing Director and also have a dotted reporting line to the CFO’s in South Africa and London. John Brown Media was acquired by the Dentsu Aegis Network Group in 2015.
John Brown Media is part of the global John Brown Media Group. Our clients include Pick n Pay, BMW/Mini, Discovery, Life Healthcare, Old Mutual and Spur locally and Waitrose, John Lewis, Orange, RBS Bank and Hannafords globally. We have offices in Cape Town, Johannesburg and seven other countries globally. We are a leading Content Marketing Agency and our services include print and digital content across multiple channles and platforms. The position will act as a business partner to the Managing Director and an understanding of media/publishing and commercial industries is a distinct advantage.
The Senior Finance Manager is the most senior financial appointment within the John Brown SA Business and he/she will be responsible for the co-ordination of the finance function and all related finance matters.
The Ideal Candidate
The Senior Finance Manager will be a seasoned Finance professional. You will have strong analytical and strategic planning skills combined with a grounded, commercial outlook. You will have excellent people leadership skills, with an ability to build excellent working relationships across the business and with a wide range of stakeholders.
Finance and operations:
- Preparation of monthly management accounts for local Management and monthly board packs for London office.
- Preparation of annual budgets in conjunction with the General manager and Managing Director.
- Reporting of overheads.
- Management of sales and purchase functions and cash flow.
- Liaison with Finance teams/accountants in SA and London.
- Point of first contact for all daily bank and treasury matters.
- Local banking and insurances.
- FD to prepare payroll handover document for sign off by the MD
Statutory and regulatory compliance:
- VAT returns.
- Preparation of statutory accounts of all SA Group companies.
- Completion of National Statistics.
- Preparation of year-end audit files and liaison with auditors and tax advisers.
- Maintenance of statutory books for all SA companies.
- Maintenance of client contract files.
Client reporting and profitability:
- To carry out a quarterly review of current client P&Ls and to work with the Managing Director to improve client profitability. Forecasting and risk analysis of each account on a quarterly basis.
Broad Based Black Economic Empowerment:
- To actively engage with the JBSA Broad Based Black Economic Empowerment scorecard, in particular Preferential Procurement, Socio Economic Development and Enterprise Development.
Ad hoc/Project work:
- Capital expenditure reviews – buy vs. lease.
- Evaluation of new business streams and opportunities.
This role is pivotal to the finance function and has full responsibility for the financial reporting of the company’s results to all internal and external stakeholders from original transaction through management accounts to full statutory accounts.
Key relationships to manage include the UK and SA based Finance teams, Local Senior Management and external auditors, bankers. The role is broad and encompasses tax compliance and planning, full cash and treasury management together with company secretarial and audit responsibilities.
The person will be responsible for first line management of the Accounting and Finance team.
- Full accountability for all financial reporting and the strong financial control environment including ownership of general ledger and chart of account structures.
- Management of the audit, insurance and tax processes ensuring compliance is maintained whilst opportunities are explored.
- Technical expertise and preparation of statutory accounts.
- Monthly reporting of results and ad hoc queries from the UK JBM Head Office Finance Team and monthly reporting to DAN SA finance team.
- Lead, mentor and develop the Finance team
- CA (SA)
- 5-8 years relevant experience
- Theoretical understanding and an in-depth practical knowledge of the BBBEE codes of good practice 2013, specifically Marketing Advertising and Communications Charter (2016). Ideally 3 – 4 years’ experience working in the BBBEE space
- At least 2 years’ experience managing a Finance Team
- Thorough knowledge of General Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Thorough knowledge of relevant legislation
- Knowledge of Internal Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS)
- Sound knowledge of budgeting processes
- Knowledge of People Management and employee relations
- Proficiency in relevant software packages and applications
- Experience in the media and or publishing fields is advantageous
Please forward a detailed CV to Lungelo.Fakude@dentsuaegis.com
CLOSING DATE: 14 December 2018
Reference number: SFD (to be stipulated in the subject line)
PREFERENCE WILL BE GIVEN IN LINE WITH JOHN BROWN’S EMPLOYMENT EQUITY POLICY
Please note that if you have not heard from us within 2 weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful. John Brown South Africa reserves the right not to fill the position.