John Brown Media is part of a leading global content marketing agency with offices in 11 countries. We produce award-winning, engaging content across digital channels. Our clients include blue-chip brands, such as Pick n Pay, Old Mutual, Life Healthcare, BMW and Capitec locally, and Waitrose, John Lewis, Orange, RBS Bank, Hannaford and Spinneys globally. We are part of the dentsu group.
John Brown Media is seeking to appoint a Features/Copy Editor in Cape Town. The ideal candidate must be a teller of stories, a crafter or words and an advocate of apostrophes. He or she will manage the editorial content and tone of a custom food and lifestyle magazine, and copy edit the print magazine and its digital assets to meet the production deadlines.
- Edit content to fit brand tone.
- Check print and digital content for grammatical and stylistic errors, and factual accuracy.
- Ensure internal corrections and client changes are made.
- Check and sign off final page proofs.
- Edit ad-hoc publications and documents as needed.
- Brainstorm content ideas based on the brand’s trade plan, trends and seasonal relevance.
- Write headers, blurbs, captions and short- and/or long-form features.
- Write social media posts.
- Write promotional material for print and digital.
- Commission freelancers where necessary.
- Attend and contribute to editorial meetings (plan ahead for new feature ideas).
- Work closely with the relevant design teams to ensure an error-free magazine goes to print.
- Relevant degree/diploma in languages, arts or journalism.
- At least five years’ experience as a copy editor and features writer in relevant environment (newspapers, magazines or content marketing).
- Fluent in English.
- Excellent spelling and grammar.
- Knowledge of and interest in food and lifestyle writing.
- Excellent general knowledge.
- Strong creative sense and versatility.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Google Docs and Adobe InDesign.
- Sound knowledge of editorial principles and journalism ethics.
- The ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Willingness to assist where needed.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- The ability to work under pressure.
- Work well independently and as part of a team.
Please email your PDF Portfolio and CV to email@example.com to apply.
Ref: Features/Copy Editor
Closing date: 19 July 2021
PREFERENCE WILL BE GIVEN IN LINE WITH JOHN BROWN’S EMPLOYMENT EQUITY POLICY
Please note that if you have not heard from us within 2 weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful. John Brown South Africa reserves the right not to fill the position.