Social Media Strategist
John Brown Media is a leading content marketing agency with offices in 12 cities globally. We produce award-winning, engaging content across multiple channels. Local blue-chip clients include Pick n Pay, Old Mutual, Life Healthcare and Capitec. Global clients include Waitrose, John Lewis, Orange France, RBS and Hannaford. John Brown Media is part of the global advertising agency network dentsu.
John Brown Media South Africa is seeking to appoint a talented Social Media Strategist to lead social media across numerous clients. The position is based in Cape Town and will report directly to the Digital Director.
The ideal candidate has a passion and in-depth knowledge of social media platforms and technologies and how content is created and distributed on these channels. You will need to drive growth of social media channels proactively, continually looking for opportunities and trends, and push the boundaries with world-class work. An understanding of content marketing is crucial.
Strategy and content creation:
- Research, plan, create and implement engaging content strategies for clients’ social media channels
- Stay abreast of current social media trends and technologies and constantly seek opportunities to build brands’ social media presence, proactively initiating solutions based on platform and audience trends
- Create content plans with fresh, innovative ideas that achieve campaign objectives and make innovative use of the latest formats and technologies
- Write on-message content for all social platforms, ensuring all copy is delivered within stipulated deadlines and to a high standard
- Brief designers and work collaboratively with the art director to ensure social media best practice is applied to all creative assets
- Consult with internal teams on social media best practice, in particular with editors and designers in order to:
- provide effective solutions for content optimisation,
- create world-class content that’s informative and appealing, and
- mentor junior copywriters on how best to write for and use various social media platforms.
- Oversee and grow social communities and user-generated content elements
- Schedule and publish posts accurately and timeously
- Ensure customer queries are responded to within escalation protocols, turning customer comments into conversation
Reporting and analytics:
- Compile and analyse social media reports, using native tools and paid-for platforms, and report back with actionable, tangible results and insights to client, partners and internal teams
- Ensure that the social media platforms are meeting and exceeding KPIs
- Look for new opportunities for improvement and growth
- Liaise with relevant suppliers and partners, including building and maintaining close relationships with paid media agencies
- Have at least 3 years’ experience in social media content creation and strategy, preferably in a client-facing role
- Display outstanding knowledge of the nuances and formats of each major social media channel
- Solid experience with key measurement, scheduling and reporting tools (Sprout Social, Brandwatch, etc) as well as native tools and a good understanding of how to measure and track brand-specific KPIs
- An excellent understanding of digital and social media trends and audiences in South Africa
- A practical understanding of paid media, targeting and buyer personas, and the ability to apply this knowledge to your own content
- Excellent copywriting skills
- Understanding of brand voice and tone, and ability to switch seamlessly between brands
- The ability to interpret a client’s brief into copy that delivers on objectives
- A passion for learning and problem-solving, and a hunger for growth
- Flexibility to work after hours and on weekends
Please send a detailed CV to email@example.com.
Reference: Social Media Strategist (to be quoted in the subject line of the application email)
John Brown Media South Africa is an equal opportunity employer and all applicants who fulfil the above criteria will be considered. Note: if you have not heard from us within two weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful. John Brown Media South Africa reserves the right not to fill the position.